International Travel

Click here to register your travel.

The Medical University of South Carolina (the “University”) is engaged around the world through education activities, research and service of its faculty, staff, trainees and students.  The University supports and encourages international travel and collaborations and recognizes that a global perspective is essential to its academic mission.  The international travel policy is intended to promote the health, safety and security of all members of the MUSC community while traveling abroad.  Colleges or business units may have additional procedures and requirements that support this overall policy. This policy applies to faculty, staff, trainees and students traveling outside of the United States for University-related purposes, and sets the requirements that must be met before and during university-related travel. *For the full version of the policy, please refer to MUSC International Travel Policy (PDF).

International Travel Assistance and Travel Registration
All faculty, staff, trainees and students traveling abroad for University-related purposes are required to register their travel itinerary with International SOS before the expected departure date. Registration provides information that will enable the University to activate intervention services on the traveler’s behalf in the event of a health emergency, natural disaster, or a crisis of civil or political unrest in a foreign location that requires assistance or evacuation.

Definition of University-Related Travel
International travel applicable to this policy includes travel in the course and scope of MUSC employment; travel that is funded in any part by MUSC or its affiliates (UMA, MUHA); travel within the scope of a MUSC sponsored research grant or contract; travel that is eligible for MUSC approved academic credit as well as travel under MUSC auspices for non-credit experiences; student travel under the direction or supervision of MUSC faculty or staff. 

* Personal leisure travel without University support and where University employment or study is not relevant to the activity, are not considered travel for University-related purposes.  Student travel with non-MUSC organizations may still qualify as university-related travel.  If clarification is needed to determine whether student travel is “university-related”, please contact the Center for Global Health prior to travel.