The Medical University of South Carolina (MUSC) Global Assistance Program provides MUSC faculty, staff and students on university-related business with emergency medical, security and travel assistance while abroad, managed and administered by International SOS. The program is available to assist you if you need a medical referral, lose your medication, seek pre-travel advice or experience a medical or security crisis while traveling abroad. The program provides 1) International Travel Assistance and 2) Accidental Medical & Sickness insurance for those traveling on a university-sponsored international trip.
MUSC has partnered with International SOS to provide security and medical evacuation services, assistance with hospital referrals, repatriation insurance and a variety of online health, safety, and security resources for the university community traveling abroad on university business or sponsored activities. Your International SOS membership, provided by MUSC, protects you against a variety of difficulties that could arise while you are abroad.
International SOS is the world's largest medical and security assistance company, operating in over 70 countries with more than 6,000 medical and security professionals in 24-hour Assistance Centers, 28 international clinics and remote-site medical facilities. The program is available to assist you if you need a medical referral, lose your medication, seek pre-travel advice or experience a medical or security crisis.
- MUSC/International SOS membership number is 11BCAS084634.
- MUSC travelers are not guaranteed International SOS insurance coverage for travel to certain designated territories and countries under U.S. sanctions.
- Personal travel before/after the period of time when traveling on University business is not covered by the university’s International SOS program, but can be purchased at a discount for that period of time by using your MUSC/ISOS membership number.
- Membership Card. Print the International SOS membership card or download the mobile app and carry it with you at all times while traveling.
Benefits of International SOS membership
Services range from country reports on culture, climate, religion, etc. to telephone advice and referrals -- up to full-scale evacuation in the event of an emergency (e.g., medical, political or natural disaster). The International SOS network of multilingual critical care and aero-medical specialists operates 24 hours a day, 365 days a year from SOS Alarm Centers around the world.
International SOS can assist in the trip planning process by providing detailed in-country information such as travel warnings, cultural information, medical alerts etc. International SOS also provides travelers with a safe way to store all necessary documentation while traveling abroad. Registered users can create a profile and upload contact information, emergency information, passport/visa information, medical histories, prescriptions, and trip itineraries that can be accessed remotely at any time. Once abroad, ISOS can help as needed with healthcare and security needs, translators and interpreters, lost document assistance, and accommodation arrangements for accompanying family members during emergencies.
- For a complete list of program benefits and frequently asked questions, visit the MUSC/International SOS communications portal.
ACCIDENTAL MEDICAL & SICKNESS INSURANCE
MUSC is pleased to offer Accidental Medical & Sickness Insurance for those traveling on a university-sponsored international trip. This insurance program is primary travel insurance coverage, and because of a unique relationship between International SOS and the insurance provider (Cigna & Lloyd's), responding to a health-related incident abroad is as easy as it gets. The medical insurance plan works in concert with International SOS and covers medical expenses, including hospital room and board, inpatient and outpatient surgical procedures, emergency outpatient care, labs and x-rays, inpatient and outpatient mental health, physician office visits and prescription drugs.
For the Summary of Benefits, click here. If you need to complete an international travel insurance claim form, please click here. If you end up paying out of pocket for any medical expenses please submit a claim directly to the insurance company for reimbursement. Information on how to submit a claim is included in the Summary of Benefits.
What You Do In Case of An Emergency While Traveling Abroad
If a medical or security situation arises when you are abroad call International SOS. International SOS will manage the medical care or security services, guarantee the payment to the provider, and then direct bill the insurance company for reimbursement. This makes the International SOS your “one-stop shop” for travelling abroad: from pre-trip security advice, to assistance with lost passports, to arranging and paying for emergency medical care abroad.
Carry the International SOS membership card with you at all times. It includes the telephone numbers of the three major worldwide International SOS Assistance Centers. In the event of an emergency, immediately call one of the emergency phone numbers listed on the card. To ensure a prompt response when calling, you should be prepared to provide the following:
- Your name, location, age, sex, and nationality
- The department with which you are associated
- Your International SOS membership number: 11BCAS084634
- The telephone number from which you are calling (in case you are disconnected)
- Your relationship to the member (if the person calling is not yourself.)
- Name, location, and telephone number of the hospital or clinic (when applicable)
- Name, location, and telephone number for the treating doctor, and where the doctor can be reached (when applicable)
Workers Compensation Program
For employees of MUSC, the MUSC workers compensation program applies on a worldwide basis for injuries and illnesses that occur in the course and arising out of employment at MUSC. The program is administered through the Office of Risk Management.